Sunday, March 6, 2011

HCI Annual Cross-country 2011...

As for this year's cross-country, I regret that I did not do my best. However, I am happy that at least one person gained something. As usual, I would have run with a group of people. However, I did not run with my usual group this time round. Instead, I ran with another person*, who was slower than the rest, who had no company to run with. In order to encourage him, I ran with him, hoping to motivate him to run faster.

At the beginning of the run, I saw him staying at the back of the crowd, looking slightly worried. I approached him, hoping to calm him down at least a little. He saw me, and started talking to me. Only then, I realised that he was one of the slower runners, even though he looks fit and strong. So, I decided to run with him.

During the run, he had to stop many times, and I obviously waited for him. However, after a few times, I started to encourage him to run. I would ask him if he were that tired that he needed to walk. He would reply 'yes' for the first few times. However, after a few times, I started to jog a little. He did not want to left behind as usual, so he tried to catch up. I tried to keep him from walking, but after running into the JC carpark, I knew he could not run further. So I waited for him and passed him a bottle of water. He drank a mouthful, and continued running. After a minute or two more, we reached the track, extremely near to the finishing point. Somehow, I managed to get him to sprint the last fifty meters and he even ended up in front of me!

Finally, we reached the end. We sat on the the grand stairs,talking for a minute or so before proceeding towards the Milo van for a little cup of cold Milo which would replenish our energy lost. In a nutshell, I feel that what I did was right, even though I could have done better, it is still better to finish together with another person, who was in that position because of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment